Contact Us Get legal advice today.

Mon – Thurs 8:30am – 5:30pm
Friday 8:30am – 2:00pm

Child Custody Proceedings for Unwed Fathers Part 2

Are you an unwed father hoping to reach a visitation or child custody agreement with your child’s mother? If so, you might want to consider working with a child custody lawyer in Raleigh NC, first thing. Having someone on your side that understands the laws and regulations might help you reach an outcome that works best for all involved; especially the children. Below, you'll find more tips that help you with proceedings. These coincide with information from our previous blog post.
Serving the Mother | Child Custody Lawyer in Raleigh NC
After you’ve filed a petition, the mother should be served with the documentation. After this takes place, the mother should take time to respond and agree or deny that you are, in fact, the father. If a denial is issued, a paternity test should be administered. You may have to file a request to have a DNA test done. Once the court agrees, you’re able to have the test done. If a positive test result is attained, you can move forward with your proceedings.
It is up to you to make sure that the mother is served. If you need help learning about how to have the mother served with child custody papers or where to find them, contact our child custody lawyer in Raleigh NC for help.
A copy of the summons and complaint should be hand-delivered to the mother. The court is not responsible for this.
To take a look back at other blogs in this series, click on the links below:

If you need more information on any of the topics above, or are considering a divorce, and need help with child custody or child support, contact our attorney in Raleigh NC. We will set up a consultation with you to talk more about your options.

Eldreth Law Firm | Attorney in Raleigh NC

As always, feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have about estate planning. Also contact our estate planning attorney in Raleigh NC to schedule a consultation if you have yet to start estate planning. It’s never too early to make plans for your wishes upon death. In addition, our lawyer is here to help you with all your legal matters, whether it be estate planning, trademarking, copyrighting, or DWI issues.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment