Are you hoping to make changes and updates to your estate plan before the end of this year comes? If so, our estate lawyer in Cary has information that can help you ensure you're making the right changes.
End of Year Estate Planning | Estate Lawyer Cary
Below, you'll find tips that can help you with your updates and changes! If you have questions, contact our estate lawyer in Cary!
- Review the beneficiaries named in your will to ensure they are still receiving the request that you wish to leave them.
- Review the person(s) designated as your financial POA and health care POA to see if they are still the people you want representing your interests should you become incapacitated. If they have had a major life change regarding where they live or their health, you may want to consider naming other people to handle your affairs.
- If you don’t make any changes in who is designated to handle your estate or make decisions about your health on your behalf, you may still want to make sure he or she knows the responsibilities and is still up to the task.
- It is important to make sure the information in your estate plan is accurate, not only so that your wishes can be carried out but so that the tax information is correct.
- Keep in mind that if you had an increase or decrease in your assets it could affect how your estate is taxed at the state or federal levels. Your estate planning should factor in these taxes so that your estate won’t be depleted before it even reaches your beneficiaries. Changes in your estate could affect how it will be divided.
Be sure to stay tuned for more tips on things that should be revised or changed at the end of the year!
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have about estate planning. Also, contact our estate lawyer in Cary to schedule a consultation if you have yet to start estate planning. It's never too early to make plans for your wishes upon death. In addition, our lawyer is here to help you with all your legal matters, whether it be estate planning, small business, trademarking, copyrighting, or DWI issues.