Spring is a season of cleaning, organizing and updating. This holds true for not only our homes, offices and more, but also with estate planning. Believe it or not, these documents need a bit of tidying up, as well. Why not take the time now to get that done? Our attorney in Raleigh NC can help.
Tidy Up Your Estate Plan For Spring | Attorney in Raleigh NC
Below, you will find several different ways to update your estate, if you've had changes in the past few months or year.
Vehicles: The cars or trucks that you own can and should be accounted for. However, many times, people change vehicles often. Sometimes, several times a year.
- You should account for newly acquired or sold vehicles immediately.
- Work with our attorney to get this situation updated each time you buy or sell a car or truck.
Personal Property: This category includes any type of household furnishings that you might own.
- Anything that was included in a “Personal Property Assignment” when originally creating the plan.
- Our attorney in Raleigh NC can help with this situation.
Financial Accounts: Looking through monthly statements can be a great way to determine whether or not your financial accounts have changed any.
- Keep your statements in a safe place and then review them all during your estate plan spring cleaning.
- Notate whether or not the statements are addressed to you, or if you are listed as a trustee.
- If they’re addressed to you as a trustee, it’s a good idea to make sure you have a copy of the Trust Certificate.
- You can then go to the financial institution and complete any paperwork that might need updates as well.
Real Estate: Just as you did for your financial accounts, real estate documentation should be updated, as well.
- Take a look at your county tax statements and note changes.
- Determine whether or not the real estate you own is through a trust or not.
- If the property is not owned in trust, you consider scheduling a consult an attorney in Raleigh NC to prepare a deed to move the property into trust.
If you haven't already updated your estate plan this year, take this season of cleaning to get it done! Our attorney in Raleigh NC is here to help along the way. For more information, visit back with our next blog.
Call Our Attorney in Raleigh NC to Schedule an Appointment for Updates!
Keeping your estate plan up-to-date and understanding how your accounts and real estate properties are listed is just as important as making sure you have an estate plan in place. If you decide to get your estate plan updated soon, feel free to contact our attorney in Raleigh NC for help. We can sit down with you, go over your current estate plan, help you determine what needs to change, as well as answer any questions that you may have about the future of your estate plan.